|| Chaired by the Department for Environment,
Food and Rural Affairs on behalf of the UK Government, the UK MAB National
- Provide a UK focal point for the UNESCO MAB programme, maintaining
liaison with the UK National Commission for UNESCO, the MAB secretariat
in Paris, EuroMAB and, as appropriate, MAB national committees in
- Through the MAB secretariat in Paris and in consultation with
the UK UNESCO national commission to ensure wider awareness of and
interest in current UK approaches to enhancing biodiversity and
- Establish and maintain links with other relevant UK structures
such as the UK Biodiversity Partnership, the UK National Ramsar
Committee the UK IUCN Committee, and the UK MAB Urban Forum.
- Promote in the UK and more widely the UNESCO MAB concerns for:
- the conservation of biological diversity
- the promotion of sustainable development
- the development of human and institutional capacity to cope
with environment/development issues,
identifying where UK MAB can undertake its own programmes and can
influence and add value to other relevant UK initiatives and programmes.
- Maintain oversight of UK Biosphere Reserves and the Biosphere
Reserve periodic review process, providing a high-level stakeholder
forum for considering BR nominations and adaptations to inform ministerial
- Guide and support the work of the UK Biosphere Reserves and facilitate
links between them and with Biosphere Reserves in other countries.
Please send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
with questions or comments about this web site.
This page was last updated on 26 June 2003